Pre-admission is part of your hospital care. To ensure we can confirm your admission, financial and other arrangements, we ask that you:
- Fill in the online admission form, or complete the admission form that you received from your doctor and return it to Seaford Day Surgery as soon as possible.
- We know that billing can be difficult to understand and we are happy to assist you in any way we can, however we also advise that you seek clarification from your doctor, anaesthetist and health fund before admission to check if you are covered or have a gap, excess or co-payment. These costs are payable on admission.
- If you do not have private health insurance cover, you will be required to pay the estimated cost of your procedure before admission.
Pre-admission question: Are you of Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander Origin? – Why am I being asked this question?
Because we ask everybody… To find out more please click here.
You may be contacted by telephone prior to your day of admission by our Pre-admission nurse. If you are contacted:
- Your medical history will be reviewed with you and admission and discharge details discussed.
- Please take this opportunity to discuss any concerns regarding your admission.
Your doctor will notify the hospital of the date of your procedure/operation and inform you of your day and time of admission. Your doctor will also explain your procedure or operation and complete the consent form with you.
Day of Admission Information
Please check in with reception at the time indicated by your doctor.
Your doctor will inform you of the scheduled time for your surgery and subsequent fasting times.
This means nothing to eat or drink, including water, prior to your operation.
Please bring anything applicable to your admission including:
- A list of regular medications
- Relevant x-ray’s
Please shower on the day of your admission and put on clean clothes, wear garments that are comfortable and easy to remove. Please ensure that you have a responsible adult to collect you and stay with you for 24 hours after your procedure.
- Smoke cigarettes or chew gum
- Wear jewellery, a wedding ring is permitted
- Bring valuables ie mobile phone and large amounts of cash. Seaford Day Surgery will not accept liability for any loss of personal valuables.
- Wear make-up or nail polish
If you are on any medications, prescribed or over the counter, it is wise to check with your surgeon whether to continue these. If you need to take medication on the day of surgery please bring that medicine with you.
Before you leave, you will be given written instructions on how to look after yourself at home. Discharge medications or a prescription will be provided to you on discharge if required.
Please make arrangements for someone responsible to drive you home. YOU WILL NOT be able to drive yourself or travel home alone on public transport including a taxi if you have been given a general anaesthetic or sedation.
An escort is vital for your safety, and you must have someone in continual attendance with you following your discharge. Your operation will be cancelled if you do not have a suitable carer.
Your escort is welcome to wait in reception however they do not have to stay at the Day Surgery the whole time. They will be given an approximate time to return to collect you at the time of admission and we will also contact them by phone at least a half an hour before you are ready to go home.
During the first 24 hours after your anaesthetic, you must not drive a car, operate heavy machinery, drink alcohol, conduct business or sign contracts.
Follow the written discharge instructions given.
You will be discharged home with minimal pain or discomfort however should you have any unexpected change to your condition and you have concerns you should
- Telephone your surgeon or
- Attend your nearest Emergency Department
If an EMERGENCY such as severe pain or significant bleeding
- Ring 000
You will receive a follow up phone call from the Day Surgery Nurses after your procedure to check your progress.
We welcome your feedback on the care we have given you. If you would like to complete a satisfaction survey, please advise us by contacting us on 08 7282 8011 or email email@example.com